Matt Cutts did a presentation on SEO ( Search Engine Optimization ) for WordPress blog. WordPress is one of the best blogging script free product of Automattic company. Matt Cutts is Spam Head in Google. He explained things in the presentation. I am giving all points well explained here. So you will find it easy to understand. Of course , All credits to Matt Cutts. I am just giving it point wise with explanation in text form to make it easy to understand.
1. Don’t blog for anything whether it is Fame, Money, Access, Attention. Just do blog for yourself.
2. In Matt Cutts’ opinion WordPress takes care of 80-90% of (the mechanics of)Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
3. Matt Cutts uses below plugins for his blog: Akismet, Cookies for Comments, Enforce www. Preference, FeedBurner FeedSmith, WP Super Cache.
4. Google crawls roughly in decreasing order of PageRank.
5. What is PageRank?
It shows the number and importance of links pointing to you.
6. Page having few backlinks from High PageRank pages will have more importance than page having large number of backlinks from quite low PageRank pages and the page will rank good in Google.
7. Think what user will type in Google search box. Include the keywords naturally in your writing. For image and videos use ALT attribute.
8. Use Adwords keywords tool to determine search frequency or keyword relevancy.
9. Use /%postname%/ as your permalink setting under custom option.Your link should be like yoursitename.com/my-first-post , No numbers in it or No short weird post link like ?p=39
10. Don’t flood your page with keywords. Maximum 4-5 keywords a page. It will be counted as spam and will rank badly in search engines.
11. Find something you’re passionate about. Update your blog as frequently you can. Do concentrate mechanics told above don’t over do it.
12. Get reputation in Blogging world:
To gain good reputation
•Provide a useful service
oEric Goldman – blawger about legal issues & search
•Do original research or reporting
oDanny Sullivan – compared spam on Gmail, Yahoo
oLouis Gray – watched his referrers
•Give great information
oLifehacker – High-quality tutorials and guides
•Find a creative niche
oicanhascheezburger, F@#$ My Life, One Sentence
oPenny Arcade, xkcd
•Write some code
•Make lists (“11 reasons why WordCamp ruled”)
•Meet folks on Twitter, Facebook, FriendFeed
13. Make video on any topic related to your niche, publish it on sites like YouTube.
14. Google Tools that will help you:
•Webmaster console at google.com/webmasters/
•FeedBurner: MyBrand for free
feeds.mattcutts.com instead of feeds.feedburner.com
•Google Website Optimizer
•Custom Search Engine: free site search
<!– google_ad_section_start –>
<!– google_ad_section_end –>
15. Contact site webmasters who have linked you but something gone bad and link got a 404. It’s your free link, try to get it back. It will help you for PR. Such links are shown in Google Webmaster Tools.
16. Success can be achieved by hard work only. There is no shortcut to success. Stay away from scam programs like “Google Money Tree” or scam emails. Don’t waste money behind them. They are nothing to do with your success in earning or traffic.
17. Don’t make paid post. Google hates it,Even your readers too.
18. Keep your wordpress updated.
19. add .htaccess in /wp-admin
AuthName “Access Control”
deny from all
# whitelist home IP address
allow from 22.214.171.124
# whitelist work IP address
allow from 126.96.36.199
20. Thanks. Matt Cutts official website: http://www.mattcutts.com
Hope you like my explanation, still if you have any doubts feel free to ask. WordCamp San Francisco was held on May 30, 2009. In attendance were over 700 people from 32 countries.