An operating system manages how to engage processor in tasks and which task is having more priority, but now a days due to wrong settings processor stays busy in solving windows works itself. Here are 10 software tweaks that will help you to boost your windows performance. You can try all or any of them as per your requirement.
2. Cleaning Temporary Files: Windows applications and windows itself store temporary files in dedicated temporary folder. You should empty this folder time by time. Go to start –> Run and type %Temp% , Delete all files of temporary folder. Note: Some files can not be deleted if they are in use.
3. Increase Page File Size: Page file is virtual RAM. Increase page file size will allow you to load huge program file in memory. Though increasing page file will help a little in speed up tasks. Click here to view instructions for increasing virtual memory.
4. Defrag Harddisk: Defragment arranges all data on hard disk partition in such way that it can be fetched speedy. So data reading will be faster. So it will improve your windows performance. Click here to view instructions for disk defragment steps for all windows versions.
5. Disable Indexing: Indexing files and folder allows you to search faster, but windows uses CPU and memory for indexing. Disabling it will speed up your windows. (will decrease windows inbuilt search speed). To disable file indexing, right click the drive and choose properties from the menu. At bottom uncheck Allow indexing option and press OK.
6. Unnecessary Startup items: Unnecessary start up items will slow down your windows start up as well as they will slow down windows performance until they are running in background. To remove start up items, go to Start—>Run, type msconfig and press enter. Go to startup tab and check for unwanted start up programs. Uncheck them and exit all windows accepting changes.
7. Adjust visual effect: If you have shared graphics memory, heavy themes will use a lot memory. As well as heavy themes use processor usage. You can set your system for best performance instead of best appearance. To set the options Click here.
8. Disk Cleanup: You should clean all unnecessary files with the disk. This includes windows error reports, temporary internet files etc. Right click any partition and click properties. Further click Disk Cleanup and clean files.
9. Disable Thumbnails: Thumbnail previews are important but takes time to load them from cache if folder is big. You can disable them and speed up folder browsing. Go to My Computer –> Tools –> Folder Options. In View tab, under Advanced settings Check “Always show icons, never thumbnails” and press OK.
10. Turn off system sounds: Why should we engage our processor in playing sounds while browsing folder or giving error when it has to do other important work ? So the last but not the least would be disabling Windows sounds. To disable windows sound go to control panel , in hardware and sound, you will find an option “change system sounds” under Sound division. Remove all sounds that are just unnecessary.